Wednesday 14 September 2011

Retro Arrivals: Atari Jaguar CD and Hover Strike: Unconquered Lands

That's right! I finally got myself an Atari Jaguar CD! At long last!

I've always wanted to get one of these managed to find one on EBay, boxed and with the game Hover Strike: Unconquered lands for £200, it may sound like alot but considering that they usually go for £500, it's a pretty good deal, so naturally, I jumped at the chance, and it arrived today!

The box for it is shorter and narrower than the regular Jaguar box, but it's alot taller, unfortunately, I forgot to take the picture of the 2 for comparison, but the boxes are already stored away, and I can't be bothered to get them out again and take a photo or two because I'm a lazy rascal! I did, however, get a photo of the box on it's on, here you go:
Atari Jaguar CD Box

The box for the games themselves are actually BIGGER than the cartridge games, here's a photo of comparisons (by the way, the WWE curtains at the side of the 3rd photo are temporary, just in case you thought I was just some big kid.):
Hover Strike: Unconquered Lands for the Atari Jaguar CD box, on it's own. Hover Strike: Unconquered Lands for the Atari Jaguar CD box, compared with the box of Tempest 2000, side by side. Hover Strike: Unconquered Lands for the Atari Jaguar CD box, compared with the box of Tempest 2000, layered.

...and what's inside the box that's making it so big... only this:
What's inside the box for Hover Strike: Unconquered Lands for the Atari Jaguar CD... Yep, it's just a sleeve! What's inside the box for Hover Strike: Unconquered Lands for the Atari Jaguar CD... Yep, it's just a sleeve, but it has alot inside it, it's nice and compact!

Here's a photo of the Jaguar CD itself:
The Jaguar CD itself.

A photo with it attached to the Jaguar, I have to admit, it looks pretty cool:
The Jaguar CD attached to the Jaguar.

and finally, a picture of the Jag+CD with a cartridge slot at the back, or as I like to call it, the toilet formation:
The Jaguar + Jaguar CD with a cartridge slot at the back, or as I like to call it, the toilet formation!

I know what you're all asking, does it work?...
A photo of the TV while booting up the Jaguar+CD A photo of the TV while booting up the Jaguar+CD
... yes it does!!! By the way, excuse the amateur taking-a-photo-in-front-of-the-TV style of capturing this, it's because I don't have the Jaguar AV cables, and they're hard to find, so I'm stuck with the RGB SCART, which is a NIGHTMARE to set up, although the quality makes up for it I think.

... but it didn't work at first, it came up with the now notorious red screen of death, but then I figured out that the Jaguar CD was properly attached, at the back, and I had to use a bit of force to get it in, but I managed, and it worked!

I hate being mean to my readers, I really do, but I must make an exception... Get that up youse, AVGN fanboys!!!

Yes, I have proven that Jaguar CDs are in fact NOT self-aware, how did I avoid getting a dodgy JagCD, well the answer in simple, yet many overlook it... I checked the EBay item's description, and made sure the words "Tested, and works properly." appeared, and it did.

In all fairness, I've heard that AVGN DID get a working Jaguar CD after he filmed the review, so good on him, and I'm not hating on AVGN, in fact I'm a huge fan of him myself, it's the fans that annoy me, alot.

So there you have it, it all worked out in the end, I gave a working Jaguar CD a nice home, where it will be played alot. Was it worth the price... not so far, but I didn't want the Jaguar CD for one game, I wanted it for pretty much all of them, they all look brilliant, except for primal rage and baldies. Also, I wanted it to extend my horizon on Jaguar games, to extend the amount of games I can choose from, and stuff like that, I really didn't want it for it rarity...

...Alright, I lied, the rarity attracted me to it even more, but that wasn't the reason I bought it, I'm not a game collector who keeps their valuables in glass cases, waiting for it to be worth more, no, I bought it, so I could play it, I'm probably the only gamer in the world to want a Jaguar CD for that, but there you go, there's a first for everything.

I'll be looking forward to next few years for this baby, buying a bunch of awesome games, digging up some rare gems, that is if the Jag CD lasts though it all, I have faith in it.

Cobra!

No comments:

Post a Comment